Monday, December 14, 2009

I was meant to be Russian. The vodka, the Dostoevsky, the pessimism, the East meets West, the complicated grammar and impersonal expressions. The Mortal. Betrayal : the worst of sins. Forever winter.

Ni puha ni pera. I don't know how to translate it except "break a leg". It literally means no fluff no feathers. The appropriate response is k chortu which means "To hell with you".

I got the unadulterated pleasure of having this said to me before my last two finals. None of this good luck stuff....(which it really does mean good luck but in a Russian sort of way)...but someone saying like to a hunter don't come back with any feathers...I guess. My translation skills are way out of practice.

My Russian neighbor picked me up when I was walking to my Property final. Nice. Then, there's a girl from Novogrod in my contracts class.

My long time friend from Russia Miss Yuna will be coming to stay with us for a while over Christmas...so I'm sure she will set me straight.

Ah...almost done. Almost except for the hardest class with the grade bumps I will not be getting (I've missed days for being sick). So nothing but murders and rapes to study until Thursday.

And then holiday cheer with friends and family. Josh's brother and his family are coming Christmas day. My sister is bringing her wii. My brother is bringing his ipod etc...(he gives me the best new music).

Josh and I will be married eight years tomorrow. We'll be celebrating after the murders and the rapes because he loves me so much. More than I deserve.

Tomorrow is also the anniversary of my dad's accident and that call before the helicopter arrived and the horror of seeing someone you love in unbearable pain.

Life is weird.

Shit happens.

God is good.

People are not.

3 comments:

kate said...

Happy Anniversary. Happy almost through with finals! Yea! And happy celebrating when you finally get through! Hang in there! I am really proud of you. (sorry that sounded so fatherly.)

Anonymous said...

so russia, i'm ready to go back!!! you?

nectarine_girl said...

yes. It would be great to go back. How are you doing?