So I managed to have 5 fever-free days. Followed by a horrible day and several mediocre ones. I did ok at work today. A little spacey but getting more Spanish right all the time even on the phone. Came home...just curious. 100.0 F
I had stopped taking my temperature for several months. And I guess I've resumed because it's a good reminder that I'm not crazy. That these symptoms are not all in my head. A very tangible: something is not right even if they can't find out what it is. And at this point I want to let go. I'm out of other options.
I've been a little weepy lately. Which I think is actually pretty good. I couldn't even cry for a very long time...sometimes grief plunges deeper than the tear ducts. I was at church and my friend Megan came up to me and then my vision got a little blurry.
She said something comforting to me in an odd way. She said that we (meaning the church) do a good job of helping the sick babies/children but not so much the sick adults.
Of course being me, I thought immediately of some big exceptions, but overall I think one thing that comes to mind is that you can in no way blame a child for being sick but you can find multiple and convenient ways of blaming an adult.
So now a break into the more humorous. I'm terrified of how all of this craziness of the past year is affecting my kids. And I know it does. And that can be very hard. I feel like I'm in Little Miss Sunshine and somewhere out there someone is cringing.
Evan is fascinated with the human body. It used to be trains, then airplanes, and now anatomy. Not just the part you're thinking of. We checked out an anatomy book in the kids section at the library and it has all the major organ systems, muscle groups, bones etc. The other day he spent several hours just asking my dad question after question. He impressed the eye doctor when he knew the parts of the eye when he went with Josh to his eye exam.
The digestive process is also particularly interesting to him. He really wants to know what vitamins are in each food we eat and what the body uses it for. So if I eat lots of broccoli will it help my body fight germs? He thinks it is particularly awesome that God made his body to heal itself. We seriously have gone to the cell level. It brings out the not-so-inner-nerd in me.
The other day he told me to "Sit on your gluteous maximus!". Oh he laughed and laughed. And I did too. And life was good.
Monday, July 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is phenomenal! He is SO SMART!!! Wow, Martha. Anna is certianly not there!!! Her pride is preventing her progress : she done'st want to ask a question or concede that you might know something she doesn't. It's pretty annoying, and very counter-productive. I am glad you got a fever repreiver (haha), and I pray that it will be hope-giving to you, even though the post-party fall is certainly a hard one.
I'm feeling a weepy stage coming on too, after a loong dry season! I welcome it! I have not enjoyed be a numb or shell-shocked zombie.
maybe we'll talk soon...
Oh, when I said that "we" aren't very good with adults who are sick, I was actually speaking as someone in the medical community (because it's just so much harder to access the "system" as an adult, and I agree that adults are easier to blame for their conditions), but now that I think about it, it certainly applies to the church body too.
Evan makes me smile; I can just picture him saying that, and it's precious!
Post a Comment