Saturday, July 11, 2009

Donuts Etc.

So one of the things that's been most helpful in all of my sickyness has been a gluten-free diet. I felt so much better after doing it for only 3 days that I was hooked. And that was last November. It hasn't cured any of this, but it has helped more than than any medicine, conventional or alternative, I've tried.

Anything that has wheat like bread, pasta, crackers has gluten. And almost anything processed has gluten. Things you don't even think about like soy sauce. Since I don't have celiac disease, or at least it didn't show up on the blood test (but it was after I started my diet), I don't go crazy with it. I think I have a sensitivity to gluten, not a true allergy.

But since I've started the diet, my allergies have been SO much better. I haven't gotten a single sinus infection. And I was able to stop taking Zyrtec. I've also lost 25 pounds, but I think that comes more from feeling awful than from the diet change. I can still eat as much ice cream, cheese dip, and margaritas as I want.

But I still can't stick to gluten-free especially when we travel, eat at someone's house, or go out to eat. And then sometimes I can't because I don't have enough self-control. Like today.

The donuts did me in. And it's only a matter of time before the funnel cakes do.

2 comments:

Josh and Margo said...

Bordinos has a complete gluten free menu, you can even get gluten free pasta there. You should just eat there every time you guys go out to eat.

Jennifer said...

gluten free restaurant? craziness... what is this word coming to?? it can't be SENSE! hehe

speaking of falling off of wagons... hmmm.. yaaaa... chris' birthday cake? yaa... it's in my belly... I will commence the bleeding and crying any time now... tomorrow? the next day? It will be an experiment to see how long it takes to register. lol
lovely.
I had gotten SO sugar free I even stopped taking raisins in my morning amaranth. and then BOOM! Pouncake with Icing! WOOHOO. mouth says yes, 'ribs' say NOOOOO!!!!

It has been a looong time since I've had funnel cake. mmm... If we had a donut shop that tempted me here I would be in bigger trouble. Tim Hortons doesn't temp me. Not like Krispy Kreme anyway.

p.s. great to have your blogs again! Missed 'em!