Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Housewife for a Little Longer

Last night I had to google "How to plunge a toilet" and "How to get red wine out of carpet". And to top it off it was trash and sort the recyling day. It sucked a good four hours of my life to get it all done.

The how to plunge a toilet was more entertaining than I imagined. Youtube has done well with how-to videos gone bad. The toliet was the kids/guest one and I don't know some underwear or something (who knows) got flushed...but it was bad. I grabbed the simple plunger left by the previous occupants and it did less than nothing. Negative value. After a few hefty gags on my part, I dashed in a sprint of inspiration to dig through our yet unpacked boxes for the plunger of unknown origins, which I think may have started with Craig Sharp. This thing is like the nose of a clown combined with the suction of an elephant. Magic.

I proceeded to bleach everything in sight.

And then...bleach could help no more. An enormous amount of wine on our new wool Tibetan rug. Spilled by...the forgiven. I pour all the salt in my house on that rug. The forgiven went out and got more salt for me. No avail. Hydrogen peroxide with dawn detergent. Nope. We're trying Capture (as seen in Sunshine Cleaning). We'll see after round 3.

This is night 3 of 4 of Josh be gone "on an airplane" as we say in our house. But somehow it doesn't matter. This is day 4 of me not having a fever. I took my temperature for the hell of it. 97.2. I cannot stress how amazing it feels. I can do anything.

And yet...the past 392 days of fever are still in the memory. I've had spells like this before, not quite this good or long, and it's SO disapointing and even harder when it returns.

Evan has been really into asking "Can you survive if...". I think it comes from Bear Grylls...teaching you to survive in some of the most difficult places on earth. I used to say "Oh, I could never do that etc.." and the fact is Yes. Yes you can. You might not like it. But you can. For example: clean up vomit. And yes Evan...you can survive without eyes, ears, and limbs. (He was utterly fascinated by the sheer amount of artificial limbs (like 8) we saw at Silver Dollar City).

And then there's always the dash of humility that needs to be added atop of the day in and day out routine of a stay-at-home mom. Lucy quote of the day: "Look Momma! It (meaning the zit on my face) matches my red toe nails!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay, youre back

The Family said...

that's awesome. congrats on the toilet and i love reading about the life of martha. keep it coming friend- we should visit soon!

lydia

Sarah said...

Oh I am so glad you're blogging again. Seriously, it makes my day.
I'm counting down the days until I'm part-time and can crash your pool daily :)