Some updates:
Evan
Evan is adjusting. He still holds my hand the whole way to school and for a minute in his class. He's making some friends and some humorous observations. His gym teacher has small ears. His art teacher likes kids. His music teacher has less hair than daddy. And can the hokey pokey kill you?
And loves to enforce "the rules" on Lucy. Especially the 'Be quiet' one. He tells her she has to learn before kindergarten to be quiet so she should start practicing now.
He also is learning. Which means he thinks he knows everything. The other day he told me he knows everything more than me. I replied, "Well what do you know about pregnancy? You've never been pregnant. (the snippy mom coming out in me)" He said, "I know more about being pregnant than you because I was in your belly the whole time". I laughed. I have to give him credit for reasoning even if his syllogisms are off sometimes :). Here are some recent Evanisms my dad recorded:
"I think God's favorite holiday is Valentine's Day because He likes telling people about love.
"I know how you cook octopus. You take it first to a pencil factory because everybody knows that pencils don't use ink. After the ink is all out, then you can eat them."
His teacher is really good about using positive reinforcement and Evan got to be "King for a Day" and sit on the teacher's chair. It has gone a long way in boosting moral. Although, he's still very clear that he "doesn't like school at all".
Lucy
I think the 3's are harder to parent than the 2's for girls at least. Wow. I can safely say that she has an independent concept of self. Which is good. She is developing a wicked sense of humor and can belly laugh with the best of them.
She has done wonderfully at school. I love this new preschool. The ratio of kids to teachers is 3:1 in her class right now. She goes M, W, F and my mom watches her T, Th.
I pick her up after school and we have our little routine. Which includes a piece of pink gum and her favorite cd (which is whole other story sometime). She loves to do the exact thing every time. We wait in line for Evan, which in her words is "forever". She always says to me "Tell me about your day at law school, Momma".
She also calls Josh and I "Nana" by mistake quite a bit. She really enjoys her time with Nana and loves to run errands---and most of all loves to go to THE MALL. She said, "I bet if you don't take me to the mall, Nana will". And she's right. The thought of the mall makes me a little sick right now.
Josh
Well we don't talk about Josh very much on this blog, do we? So I'm not going to break tradition except to say he's been great in all of this change that leaves him with nothing but more to do at home when his work has been crazy!
Me
And we do talk a lot about me on this blog. Fortunate for me, but maybe not so fortunate for you. So to that end, here are few updates in no particular order:
Jackass has continued his obnoxious behavior (toward others, I think I sufficiently grossed him out to give me partial immunity), I find it all very entertaining. He asked to borrow a power cord for his laptop. And then when the person unplugged their own laptop, and handed him the cord he said "It doesn't fit" incredulously like it was the person's responsibility to make it right.
Don't worry... more jackass anecdotes to come. Don't you like how I told you how I was going to tell you about my life and then told you about jackass? Drives Josh crazy. He wants to hear about how I'm doing, not my friends or whatever.
So I'm distracted. It's a good thing. There's an ebb and flow to school work. I have research memo due this week so it makes it busier. I survived being grilled in N's class. Gave a bunch of wrong answers in M's class. Got an A on an assignment in K's class. And knowing it all doesn't matter because finals are almost 100% of your grade. And it will be almost impossible to get a job when I get out if we live in Fayetteville. Too many lawyers in a university town.
I've had 4 fever free days this week, which feels amazing. I think I could do anything if I felt normal all the time. And then I've not prepared for class at all because I feel horrible and go to bed at 6:45pm. All in a week's time. For those of you who have never been sick and don't believe me, I'll give you grace.
My ragweed allergies are in season and I've been totally congested for the past month and will be until November even revved up on sudafed and zyrtec. But I nettypot (don't knock it til you try it) and as long as I stay indoors it's managable. When I take the kids bike riding, it gets a little itchy. And people yell at me to get a helmet.
Blah bla blah. This feel good medicine called normal body temperature is getting the best of me. I need to go to bed, but it's hard. I never feel as good when I wake up in the morning. As Evan said to me at 5:32am the other day "Why do you feel like you're dying when you wake up and I feel great?". I told him to go back to sleep and I'd tell him in the morning. I slept for another hour. He did not. And when that alarm clock gave its annoying message I still had no coherent answer. 'Evan, I'm glad you're a morning person. It will serve you well one day ' daddy says as he hits snooze again.
And we start it all again tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment